Sunday, October 12, 2014

Blog post 8

This video was probably the best video on teaching and life in general I have ever seen. In the video Randy Pausch talks about reaching his goals, helping others reach their goals, and his lessons learned. At the being of the lecture he explains his health issues and how he only has months of good health left in his life. The original name to his lecture was "The Last Lecture". As bad as his situation was he still was very positive in all he did. He talks about brick walls in life and how they are just there to filter out the people who don't want it as bad. One of the quotes he used was "experience is what you get when you did get what you wanted." This stood out to me as a student and a future teacher because you can never stop learning no matter where you are in your life or career. Pausch also talked about when he played football and how ways he learned to play the game such as practicing without a ball thought him life lessons not just football. One successful teaching method he talks about is "head fake learning." Head fake learning is a way of learning skills that are sometimes difficult to grasp by using something that is more interesting and sometimes even fun. This approach has been mostly the way I've learned such as playing sports and working. I've learned a lot about learning and ways to learn and always ways to teach and help children I teach achieve their dreams and goals.

Here is his story Randy's Story

Sources: freerangepower.com http://www.cmu.edu/randyslecture/index.shtml

3 comments:

  1. I was also very inspired by Randy Pausch's lecture. He seemed to be a great man, that accomplished many great things during his lifetime. I to loved the quote he used, "experience is what you get when you did get what you wanted." Many times in life we don't get what we want, and we just look at it as something we just never got. After hearing Pausch speak, I will always look at things I don't get as experienced gained. This was a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross,
    I too was very inspired by Randy Pausch's video. I've actually seen it three times now. I think its important to make learning fun. I wish I had taken one of Randy's classes. He seemed like an amazing instructor, and the classes seemed like a lot of fun. Great post Ross!
    --Andrea

    ReplyDelete